Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Willie's Famous Chicken Strips





A couple of weeks ago, I popped into my library and was perusing the cookbook section. I started laughing when I saw a cookbook by Kay Robertson from Duck Dynasty and started to tease my librarian about ordering it by comparing it to a book written by Snookie from The Jersey Shore.


I figured I would have a further chuckle by reviewing it, so I took it home. I LOVED THIS COOKBOOK!! It had some great down home comfort foods in it. Now, I will say that I bypassed the "game" section because I just won't eat squirrel.

I have a number of recipes to feature from the cookbook, but this is one of my favorites. I loved the spiciness of these strips, but it was a perfect spicy. Not too weak-not enough to make one choke while grabbing for water! I partnered them with the the easy macaroni and cheese recipe from the book  for a light dinner. Serve along side a dip of ranch dressing mixed with hot sauce. Yum, even  the lil' munchkins will love this dinner.

Kay recommended cast iron pan frying these chicken strips, but I used my deep fryer and it was easier, plus the crust stayed in place.

So, here we go:

Ingredients:

1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup flour
1 T. Cajun seasoning
1.5 t. garlic powder
1 t. black pepper
1 t. salt
Vegetable oil (The recipe calls for one cup, but I used a whole bottle for my deep fryer.)
1 lb chicken tenderloins

Directions:

1) In a bowl, combine buttermilk and egg. Add chicken tenderloins

2) In a large Ziploc bag, combine flour, Cajun seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

3) Shake off extra buttermilk marinade and shake to coat with the flour mixture.

4) Heat oil in deep fryer to 375 degrees. When heated, fry the tenderloins approximately 10 minutes until cooked through.

5) Serve with your choice of dips.


3 comments:

  1. Does this recipe call for paprika? I've seen one with and one without. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, the original recipe did, but I omitted it. I thought it was too much. Because the recipe was still close to Willie's original recipe, I didn't change the name.

      Delete