Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Naomi's Special Palomas




My favorite Mexican drink is the margarita. Not your typical Americanized, restaurant style, margarita mixer margarita, but an old fashioned, top shelf, agave margarita with fresh juices. My second favorite Mexican drink is the Paloma. I have to admit though that the combination of lime juice, grapefruit soda and tequila just got downright boring to me. As I always do, I looked for ways to "soup" them up and this is what I came up with.

One thing that I did with my Paloma is that I tried muddled pineapple, mango and strawberries in the base of the drink. While each had their own unique flavor, I enjoyed the strawberry the most.  

I serve mine in a canning jar with or without the salt. If doing for a crowd, I would go without the salt. It is definitely a time saver.

What I love most about this drink, unlike the margarita, is that if you are doing them for a crowd, they can be prepared ahead of time sans the grapefruit soda. When ready to serve, throw some ice in the canning jar, top with the soda and give a slight stir. Voila...it is ready to go!

So, here we go!:

Ingredients (per drink):

1.5 oz BLANCO tequila
1 oz triple sec or orange liqueur
1.5 oz FRESH SQUEEZED lime juice
1 oz FRESH SQUEEZED orange juice
Fresh fruit, as desired
Grapefruit soda, such as 50/50 or Fresca
garnishes of lime, strawberries, oranges, etc. if desired.

Directions:

1) In a canning jar, place tequila, triple sec, fresh squeezed lime juice and fresh squeezed orange juice.  If you are serving immediately, salt rim of jar PRIOR to adding juices/tequila

2) If desired, add fresh fruit and muddle. Place lid on jar. If serving immediately, obviously the lid on the jar would be a skipped step.

3) When ready to serve, give lidded jar a slight shake and remove. Add a significant amount of ice and top with grapefruit soda. Garnish as desired!


No comments:

Post a Comment