Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Citrus Bourbon Punch


Adapted: Sweet Magnolias Margarita Nights


I love having punches for brunches and early lunches. They are so much better than doing mixed drinks  and there is just something fun about them. Not being a huge whiskey fan, I was a bit apprehensive when first came across this recipe. My opportunity came when I was looking for different drinks for Bette Lee Crosby's Midweek Mixers. Bette is a host of many a brunch so I saw this fitting in beautifully to her Southern luncheons. I had originally found this recipe in The Sweet Magnolia's Cookbook by Sherryl Woods.

The original recipe made a gallon of this punch. A bit too much for this cook so I cut it in half. For ease, I am going to do the full recipe. If desired, the punch can be made and frozen. Also, the original recipe call for it to be a freeze. Not into slushies, I served it "on the rocks." Ms.Woods also suggested taming it down with lemon-lime soda if the strength of the drink didn't rock your socks off. I found it unnecessary. Want to be respectful for your guests...simply serve it on the side.

So, here we go!:

Ingredients:

8 cups water, divided
4 tea bags
1 cup light brown sugar
1 (12 oz) can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
1 (12 oz) can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
1 (6 oz) can frozen limeade concentrate, thawed
2 cups bourbon (cheap is fine here)

Directions:

1) Bring 2 cups water to a boil and add tea bags. Steep for 5 minutes and remove bags.

2) Place remaining ingredients in a very large (gallon sized pitcher) or punch bowl. Stir until blended.

3) Add tea and place in refrig until well chilled.

4) Serve with plenty of ice and mint to garnish.

5) If a slushy is desired, cover and freeze containers for several hours. Stir every hour until fork until slushied!


No comments:

Post a Comment