Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Naomi's Perfect Chili



About mid Fall, this recipe becomes a staple in the Blackburn home. It warms the soul with a bit of a bite, but not a bite you in the butt bite. Like your chili a bit hotter? Add the cayenne. I did it once....ONCE!

In my humble opinion, the toppings really make this chili-restaurant quality. I love the melted cheese, sour cream and onions. I grab the tortilla strips from the salad section of our grocer to give it the crunch. They give a pretty color to the chili, as well.

When I make a pot of this chili, I can count on the fact that it will be gone in one weekend. I never have enough to freeze!

Just a note, the Blackburns are really trying to cut down on the salt, so I don't really add salt to mine. If you would like, I wouldn't add more than 1 tablespoon of salt and save it for your "chowers" to add their own salt.

So, here we go.

Ingredients:

2-2.5lbs ground beef (I like the lower fat)
1 large onion, chopped roughly
2 green peppers, chopped roughly
1 T. jarred garlic
48 oz tomato sauce
2 cans mild chili beans (like it with heat, use hot chili beans)
2 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans Rotel tomatoes
1 can diced chilis (4oz)
1/2 cup chili powder
1 T. pepper
1 T. Cayenne (if you want it hot...I added it once)


Garnish:
Mexican cheese
sour cream
chopped green onions
tortilla strips

Directions:

1) Brown ground beef, onion, garlic and green pepper.

2) Add the remaining ingredients

3) Simmer 2 hours

4) Garnish as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment