Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Friday, June 8, 2012

Agave Nectar Margarita






OK, anyone who knows me knows two things. First, I LOVE margaritas. We are not just talking about liking them, but a deep love and appreciation and think they should be celebrated in all forms! Second, in regards to margaritas, I loathe, loathe commercial margarita mix. I just find it to be one of the most disgusting food products! In addition, I don't think it celebrates the margarita. I developed this recipe so long ago, that I can't even remember what prompted me to think of Agave Nectar except maybe I read an article about it.

I must add when I make these at this point, I am making them by the pitcher and they double, triple and quadruple very easily!

Beware, these have alot of alcohol in them, but alot of juices too, so they sneak up on ya! Last time I made these for Cinco de Mayo, my son and husband each had 3, served in Mason jars, and were asleep for the night EARLY!!

Now, true story about this margarita. When our son was 21, we took him to his first liquor tasting to my favorite liquor store that did some really high quality events. I used events such as this to teach him regarding quality, "acquired taste" and celebration of alcohol in moderation vs the "lets get blitzed" mentality. This tasting happened to be for tequila. So, as we are trying the tequilas, my son announces to the group and the facilitator of the tasting that "my mom makes the best! margaritas!" The host then asked me about the margaritas and I told him how I make them. He seemed impressed. Me, you ask?  I wanted to crawl under a table!!

So, here we go:

Ingredients:

3 oz tequila of your choice (blanco or reposado)
1 oz FRESH lime juice
1 oz FRESH orange juice
1 oz Agave Nectar (look in the health food-ironic, isn't it- section of your food store)
1 oz Grand Marnier or Triple Sec
1.5 oz homemade sweet and sour mix or store bought ( I have done both and either work. If I am lazy, I use Mr.&Mrs. T.'s and it works fine)

Directions:

1) Salt rim of glass of your choice. I have served these in margarita glasses and mason jars. Just note with the mason jars it is about 1.5 to 2 drinks and these go down VERY smoothly! Fill with ice.

2) Place all ingredients in a shaker filled with ice and shake for no less than 60 seconds!

3) Pour into glass and garnish!

No comments:

Post a Comment