Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Tomato Cream Sauce






Adapted: Allrecipes.com

I found these wonderful chicken/mozzarella/spinach sausages at Jewel Foods where I shop. I wanted to make a lighter pasta to go with them that didn't mask the taste of the sausage. I knew a heavy tomato based sauce would kill it and with a bit of searching, found a recipe on Allrecipes.

It is a creamy sauce with a light tomato flavor. Because of the amount of the sauce, it doesn't sit too heavy with the pasta. The thing that I love most about this sauce is that it works beautifully with meat, but could easily work as a meatless dish, as well.

On a final note, the original recipe called for sugar. I didn't use it because general comments on Allrecipes was that it just made the sauce too sweet. I am very happy I didn't use it. If you feel that you want it a bit sweeter, I would start with a small amount of sugar and work your way up to no more than 3/4 of a teaspoon.

So, here we go!:

Ingredients:


2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style diced
tomatoes, undrained
1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
3/4 teaspoon white sugar (OPTIONAL)
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon butter
 
Directions: 
 
1) In a saucepan, saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat. Make sure it doesn't burn. Add tomatoes, basil, sugar, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to boil and continue to boil 5 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates. 
2) Remove from heat; stir in whipping cream and butter. Reduce heat and simmer 5 more minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment