Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Recipe Reviews~ Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup

Adapted: 365 Days of Slow Cooking
http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/2009/03/day-56-tomato-basil-parmesan-soup.html

I came across this recipe on Pinterest while searching for crockpot recipes. It intrigued me enough that I knew that I had to try it. I am not sorry I did. This soup was fantastic. Partnered with a roll, not only would this be an every day meal, but would easily transfer to a "dinner party" course. This soup is minimum a four star, but closer to 5 stars. It does take some work, but is well worth it!

The recipe listed below is my version. I have listed the link to the original version above.

So, here we go:

Ingredients:

2 cans or 28 oz diced tomatoes, with juice
1 1/2 cup roughly chopped celery
1 1/2 cup roughly carrots
1 1/2 cup roughly chopped onions
2 tsp dried oregano
1/3 cup fresh basil
1 QT chicken stock
1 bay leaf
½ cup flour
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
½ cup butter
2 cups half and half, warmed
¼ tsp black pepper
Directions:

1. Place tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions, oregano, basil, chicken stock and bay leaf in a 4 qt crockpot.


2. Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours. Vegetables should be somewhat soft. Because I coarsely chopped mine and the original recipe called for them to be finely diced, I had to increase my first cooking time. Cooking time is really dependent on how vegetables are chopped.
3.  Thirty minutes before serving prepare a roux. Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add flour. Stir constantly with a whisk for 5-7 minutes. The roux should almost be the color of peanut butter when it is done cooking.
4. Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup. Then, add another 3 cups and stir until smooth. Add this back to the slow cooker. Stir and add the Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, and pepper.  
5. The original recipe called for adding more basil and oregano if needed. I did extra in the beginning, so I really didn't feel it was necessary, but it is up to personal preference.

Serving suggestion: To serve for a dinner event, do a small circle of warmed half and half on top of soup. Top with shredded parmesan cheese and extra shredded basil.

Serving suggestion: This recipe is made with heavy cream which, obviously, is very fattening. The original recipe states that the recipe can also be made with low-fat milk. I agree with the original recipe that this would be acceptable when using it for an "everyday meal", but, due to the loss in the richness of the soup, would not suggest doing that for a dinner party soup.

Serving suggestion: Next time, I will add a bag of baby spinach about 30 minutes before moving to the "roux" stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment