Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Herb Roasted Chicken with Summer Tomatoes






OK...I know that I always say that a recipe that I post is one of my +Stephanie ODea favorite, but, I swear, this one just might take the prize. Not only was this dish simple, IT WAS FANTASTIC! Even leftovers rocked!

This dish is so simple to make and the seasonings just paired perfectly with all the food ingredients involved. I basically threw everything but the rice in the crock pot and left for the day. By the time I got home, it looked like the picture above.

I used fresh tomatoes from my garden that tasted so fresh. I did not core them like Stephanie had recommended so they stood up a bit better. I was a bit concerned that by the time I got home they would have been mush had I cored them. I think I made a smart decision. Go ahead and core if the tomatoes will be served after the minimum cooking time.

I used white wine on my dish. I am not sure what flavor apple juice would give the dish since it is sweeter than the wine. I would be interested in hearing thoughts on this.

Stephanie recommends removing the skin from the chicken. I don't do that as I want the sauce for the chicken to be a bit "beefier" that is accomplished by the skin. Also, the result is that beautifully roasted chicken pictured above.

I served with white rice and I believe Stephanie had recommended brown rice. Either would work beautifully. Just be sure to top with that sauce from the crock pot. That stuff was unbelievable.

This will earn a regular rotation in my meal planning because everyone chowed on it.

So here we go:

Ingredients:

1 1/2 t. kosher salt
1 t. black pepper
2 t. herbes de Provence
1 t. smoked paprika
4 lbs. chicken parts (I used thighs)
8 vine ripened tomatoes (cored or uncored)
1/2 cup white wine or apple juice

Directions:

1) Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl.

2) Place chicken in a 6 qt crockpot and rub seasonings over chicken.

3) Place tomatoes over chicken. Pour wine/juice over all.

4) Cook on low for 7 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.

5) Serve with the tomatoes and white rice.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you enjoyed your dinner!! The chicken looks beautiful --- thank you for taking the time to write this up and for sharing. happy slow cooking!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta say Stephanie...with this dish...you just might get your own category on The Pub and Grub!!

      Delete