This recipe is a bit more work, but boy was it worth every little morsel that went into it. My husband couldn't get enough of this tasty salad.
Hard to believe that less than a year ago, I had no clue who The Pioneer Woman was. Now, I can't get enough of Ree Drummond's recipes!
This is going to take a bit more explanation so I am going to get going! As usual, I made a couple of changes.
So here we go!
10 slices center cut bacon, RESERVE BACON GREASE
1 whole small red onion, halved and sliced
1 package mushrooms, sliced
1 package (8oz) baby spinach, washed and dried
3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 dash Salt
1) Hard boil eggs. Cover with cold water when finished.
2) Fry bacon until just beginning to crisp. Remove to a paper towel. SAVE THE GREASE! Remove 3 tablespoons and set aside for dressing.
3) In a separate skillet, add 2 additional tablespoons of bacon grease to a separate skillet over medium heat.
4) Slice red onions very thinly, then add to skillet. Cook slowly until onions are caramelized and reduced. Remove to a plate and set aside.
5) Slice mushrooms and add them to the same skillet. Cook slowly until caramelized and brown. Remove to a plate and set aside.
6) Chop bacon.
7) Peel and chop eggs.
8) For hot bacon dressing: Add the reserved 3 tablespoons bacon grease, vinegar, sugar, and Dijon to a small skillet over medium-low heat. Whisk mixture together and heat thoroughly.
9) Add spinach to a large bowl. Add onions, mushrooms, eggs and bacon on top and toss gently. Pour hot dressing over the top; toss to combine.