Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Islamorada Punch



I love the Caribbean..absolutely love it! I developed this drink to pay homage to that incredible place and to celebrate its' simpleness and beauty.

On that note, It is mint season in the Blackburn home. As usual, the mint I grew without thinking about the the weed that mint can become if not put into check is taking over my garden. I have had to become creative in how I use it in recipes. One can only have so many mojitos before they become boring or I become drunk. Trust me, I have alot more mint than that!!

So, the recipe concoctions have begun. This is the first recipe out of that marathon...

These are so tasty and go down so easily, it isn't even funny. The mint flavor celebrates the essence of the Cuban mojito, but is much more subtle than the mint taste in a classic mojito. Anyone who has tried these have loved their smoothness. I use Maraschino cherry juice vs. grenadine because I don't like the aftertaste and overpowering sweetness of grenadine. Feel free to use grenadine if you prefer.

So, here we go:

Ingredients:

1/2 to 1 lime, cut into 6 pieces ( I like my drinks with heavy lime, adjust to your tastes)
1 T. brown sugar
1 handful of fresh mint leaves
1 ounce cherry juice or grenadine
2 ounces rum
4 ounces Cherry 7-up

Directions:

1) In large glass or shaker ( I use a mason jar for effect and ease), muddle lime, brown sugar, mint and cherry juice.

2) Add rum, 4 to 5 Maraschino cherries and a very generous helping of ice. Put on lid or shaker top. Shake for 60 seconds. If using a shaker, pour into a large glass.

3) Top with Cherry 7-Up and stir gently. Garnish with an additional lime slice.


No comments:

Post a Comment