Monday, April 16, 2012
The Neely's Get Yo' Man Chicken
Adapted: The Neelys (Down Home with the Neelys)
Alright, I have spoken about my love of Paula Deen on my blog before. But, I must admit, that I am a huge fan of the Neely's, as well. I love the southern comfort food touch that they bring to the majority of their dishes. Plus, there is just alot of fun in cooking their dishes.
I have made this dish so often that I think with a couple of more times, it will officially be memorized! My family and I just love it. There is a tomato lemony flavor that is AWESOME on buttered rice. I also love the fact that it uses chicken thighs. I do have to say that I did make a couple of changes to their original recipe. I think it makes it a tinge better, but this is a pretty spectacular recipe. I will note my changes next to the original as I have made it both ways.
So, here we go!:
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 bone in chicken thighs, skinless ( I leave the skin)
1 medium onion, sliced ( I chop mine)
1 cup chicken stock (I use broth)
1/2 cup white wine (bottled cooking wine works also, but I normally use regular wine and serve remaining with the meal)
1 (14.5-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in thick puree
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon lemon-pepper
Hot buttered rice
1) Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
2)Pat chicken dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
3)Brown the chicken, meat-side down first, and turning once, about 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate to reserve and place in oven to keep warm.
5) Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of oil from the pan. (I keep all the oil in the pan. It isn't too much more)
6) Add onion to the pan and saute until tender, roughly 3 minutes. Add the stock/broth and wine. Stir, scrapping any brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Turn heat to high and reduce by half, about 3 minutes. Pour in the crushed tomatoes and add the dried herbs and lemon pepper.
7) Add the chicken thighs back into the pan.Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 40 minutes.
8) Remove chicken from liquid and serve on hot buttered rice. Ladle the sauce on top