Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Mediterranean Chicken

Mediterranean Chicken with Lemon Greek Rice


I love Food Network's show, The Neeleys, particularly some of the recipes they make that I have brought into my kitchen. One of those recipes is called "Get Yo' Man Chicken" which I will be making for this blog eventually. I had stumbled across this recipe, although I can't remember where because it has been on my computer for so long. I love that this recipe uses chicken thighs. I can't eat the larger chicken breasts and always have waste whenever I try to make a dish which uses them. Chicken thighs are the perfect size for me.

The flavors in this chicken were spectacular. I was a bit skeptical when it had no oregano in it, but it proved me wrong. I served it along with the Lemon Greek Rice which can be found on the Pub and Grub, as well. There are never any leftovers when I make this dish. It is incredibly simple to make to boot!

So, here we go!:

Ingredients:

1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 chicken thighs
1/8 cup olive oil
1/2 sweet onion~chopped
1 teaspoon jarred garlic
1/3 cup sherry wine
14 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 bay leave
1 teaspoon basil

Directions:

1 Mix salt, pepper, cumin and cayenne and rub mixtures over the chicken thighs.
2 In large heavy skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Saute chicken until golden brown. Remove from pan. Drain, leaving 2 tablespoons fat.
3 Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and garlic and saute about 10 minutes.


4 Turn heat to high and add sherry to the onion and garlic mixture. Cook until the liquid is reduced, about 5 minutes.
5. Add crushed tomatoes, bay leaves, olives,basil and salt and pepper to taste. Return chicken to pan.


6. Cook,covered, about 35 to 40 minutes,until chicken begins to fall away from the bone. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment