Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Chile Relleno Casserole

Top View




Side View





Like tamales, I had heard of Chile Rellano all the time, but was intimidated to prepare them, particularly as it related to the charring of the Anaheim peppers. I can't believe what I missed out on. This dish is fantastic and simple!

When this popped up on Pinterest, for some reason, I felt ready to wade in. Originally published at TeenieCakes. Cristina did a SPECTACULAR job of laying it out step by step. I knew I was ready to go. Now, I will admit that I was kind of lazy and switched out a couple of things. I think it worked fine.

I have linked this post to her blog so that both directions can be referred to if questions pop up. Her pictures are beautiful and educational.

So, here we go!

Ingredients:

8-10 Anaheim peppers, charred and cleaned

Sauce:

1 T. Olive Oil
1/3 c. diced onion
1 can (28 oz) CRUSHED tomatoes
salt and pepper, to taste

Eggs:

6 eggs separated
1.5 cups low-fat milk
6 T. flour
salt and pepper, to taste

1 package (4.5 cups) Mexican blend or Co-jack cheese
Cojita Cheese (optional)

Directions:

1) If not done, char peppers. This is so easy with a gas stove. Simply place the pepper over the flame and turn as it is browning. One thing I noted is to put aluminum foil around the burner ANY time I do this in the future. As you can see, the peppers will leak juice while cooking and led to a HUGE clean up job for me! Place the cooked peppers in a Ziploc bag for 1 hour. Clean the burnt part off the pepper in the sink. Remember to take out the seeds and stems. Again, a huge mess so be prepared!


Mine aren't as pretty as Christina's

2) In a sauce pan, saute the onions in the olive oil until transparent. Add the crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper. Simmer 15-20 minutes.





3) Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Liberally spray a 9x13 pan. Line pan with half the peppers. Then, half the cheese. Repeat layers.

4) Beat egg whites until they form into stiff peaks. Mix together milk, egg yolks, flour, salt and pepper. Blend this mixture with the egg whites.

5) Pour all over the pepper/cheese layers. Bake in oven for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.





6) Pour tomato sauce over the eggs and return to the oven to bake for another 30 minutes.

7) Sprinkle with Cojita cheese, if desired. I served with corn on the cob and Mexican Rice




.





No comments:

Post a Comment