Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Paula Deen's Fried Onion Soup



Now, you all have heard me go on and on about Paula Deen's recipes and some have been featured on the Pub and Grub with more to follow. This is one that I have made a couple of times and to be expected I made some changes. I love the simpleness of this recipe and the ability to have French Onion soup anytime the whim hits me.

I will say that this one though is one reserved for having a light lunch or dinner. I don't use this recipe for entertainment purposes. Normally, for that, I use the Stephanie O'Dea Crock pot French Onion Soup recipe found in the Pub and Grub archives or a more extensive recipe I have. But, if you are having a craving for some soup and want to pair it with a salad, this is the recipe for you..

So, here we go! I will list Paula's recipe first and then my substitutions:

Ingredients:

8 cups beef broth (I use beef stock)
4 cups chicken broth (I use chicken stock)
2 teaspoons dried thyme
3 (2.8 oz) cans French's fried onions ( I use one 6 oz can)
1/4 cup dry sherry
6 slices day old french bread
1.5 cups shredded Swiss cheese (I use low fat mozzarella )
fresh parsley for garnish (I use fried onions)

Directions:

1) Pour broth/stock in large sauce pan and add thyme.  Simmer for 10 minutes.



2) Add fried onions and simmer for another 5 minutes.



3) Add sherry and simmer for another 2 minutes (I actually do 15 minutes)

4) Ladle soup into oven proof bowls and add two slices of french bread. Cover with cheese. Bake for 15 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

* I must note that Paula does call for broiling the soup for 3-4 minutes. I have never been a fan of broiling the cheese because it can go really bad, really quick. I get the same results with baking it.

** I apologize for the quality of the pictures. It is dark outside..thus dark in the Blackburn household. My camera didn't want to cooperate!

No comments:

Post a Comment