Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Mocha Crumble Bars






Every month, I attend my library's live book club and bring the treats for the meeting. It gives me the opportunity to not only try out new recipes on someone other than family and close friends, but also to give treats to some of my favorite people in the world...my library's staff! It is just a little bonus way for me to let them know how much I appreciate them and how they take care of my addiction to books!

I came across these mocha crumbe bars on Food.com and had never made anything similar to it and figured it would be good to try something new on these guys. The feedback that I got from the group was that they loved them. They were chowing them down and were clearly a favorite to the other treats I had brought.

So, here we go!:

Ingredients:


1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1 eggs
2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
2 cups quick oats
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
1 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon instant coffee 

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 350°F Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil. 

2) In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer set on high speed, beat butter and brown sugar until light and creamy. On medium speed, beat in egg. 

3) In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. 

4) Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture and mix until dough is smooth. Stir in oats and walnuts. 

5) Reserve 1 cup dough for topping. Press remaining dough into bottom of prepared pan. 

6) In a medium saucepan, heat 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips, condensed milk, instant coffee and remaining cinnamon over medium heat; stir until smooth. 

7) Spread mixture evenly over the dough in the pan, smoothing the surface with a spatula; crumble reserved dough on the top. 

8) Sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips. Bake until lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Lift foil to remove from pan; cut into 2-inch bars.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment