Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Easy Creole Chicken and Okra






I have a friend named Sue Dyer. Sue LOVES cooking just as much as I do. She subscribes to Yahoo Weekend Recipes and makes sure I get each of the recipes sent to her each week. When I saw the new theme was Mardi Gras recipes, I was all over those bad boys.

I love Cajun cooking almost as much as I love Mexican cooking. Most of the recipes I have for it, though, are weekend involved recipes, so I am very limited in when I can prepare it. When I saw this one, I knew I was right on track for an easy weeknight meal.

As to be expected with me, I did change it some, but not enough not to give credit to Nessie, who sent it out to Yahoo Weekend Recipes.

So, here we go!

Ingredients

6 bone in chicken thighs (remove skin, if desired.)
1/2 t. Cajun seasoning
1/3 cup flour
1 T. Olive oil
2 can diced tomatoes or stewed tomatoes, undrained (I used stewed)
1 16 oz frozen cut okra
Cooked rice

Directions:

1) In a Ziploc bag, combine flour and Cajun seasoning. Shake each piece of chicken.

2) While shaking chicken, heat 1 T. olive oil in a large pan.

3) Fry each piece of meat for 5 minutes each side. Don't move it to allow it to get a nice crust. Do in batches as necessary.

4) When browned, return all chicken to pan and add tomatoes and okra.

5) Simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken reaches internal temperature of 180 degrees.

6) Serve over rice with cornbread.

No comments:

Post a Comment