Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Sunday, May 6, 2012

(Tricia Yearwood's) Gwen's Fried Chicken with Milk Gravy



Tricia Yearwood has an AWESOME cookbook out called Home Cooking with Tricia Yearwood. I know that this cookbook is fantastic because it hit a worst cookbook of 2010. I guess reviewers never heard of a lil somethin' called moderation! Any who...one of the recipes I make out of there is this fried chicken. It is simple to make and I can break down the contents to where I make just enough portions to not have any leftovers. It is good for a day that I want comfort food without having the temptations of leftovers. To boot, it is simple to make. I let the flour sit on the chicken a bit so it almost comes off as a broasted chicken. I make extra gravy with it because my guys like gravy on their chicken as well. Me? I eat my chicken with honey!

So, here we go!

Ingredients:

Chicken

8 pieces chicken (I use thighs because they are the perfect size for my family)
2 T. KOSHER salt
2 C. Peanut oil
1 t. coarse black pepper
1 cup flour

Milk Gravy:

1/4 cup leftover peanut oil
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
salt/pepper to taste

Directions:

1) Place chicken pieces in a large container and cover with cold water. Add 2 T. Kosher salt and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours. Preferably overnight

2) Place peanut oil in a large electric skillet and heat to 400 degrees.



3) Drain water off chicken. Place flour and pepper in a Ziploc bag and coat chicken pieces with flour mixture. Place coated chicken in the electric skillet.

4) Cook for 10 minutes each side. Make sure chicken reaches an internal temperature of 180 degrees before removing from oil. Continue until all chicken is cooked. Place cooked pieces in a warming oven until ready to eat.



5) Pour off ALL BUT 1/4 CUP OF OIL. Place the 1/4 cup of oil into a large sauce pan. Time to move onto Milk gravy directions!

Milk Gravy Directions:

1) Warm 1/4 cup of leftover Peanut Oil in large sauce pan. Whisk in 1/4 cup of flour. When blended, SLOWLY whisk in milk. Allow to thicken and add additional salt and pepper.


No comments:

Post a Comment