Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Monday, April 2, 2012

Mexican Rice


Adapted: Allrecipes


I have this recipe memorized because we love it in our family so much. I love making Mexican food and this just adds "umph" to my dishes. It is so easy to make it isn't even funny. The hardest part is the browning of the rice..then, it just simmers!

So, here we go:

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
  • 3 T. Vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup green pepper, optional
  • 1 T. jalapeno pepper, optional
  • 1/2 cup fresh diced tomatoes, optional
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 cups chicken broth

  • Directions:

    1) Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add rice. Cook, stirring constantly, until puffed and golden. WATCH CAREFULLY SO IT DOESN'T BURN!! While rice is cooking, sprinkle with salt and cumin. 

                 
    2) Stir in onions and other vegetables, as desired, cook until tender. 
    3) Stir in tomato sauce and chicken broth; bring to a boil. 
    4) Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
    5) Fluff with a fork.             
       

    3 comments:

    1. This looks delicious Naomi. I love to make Mexican rice too and chicken broth really improves the flavor. The one ingredient I have forgotten about (that my mother used to add) is the green bell pepper. I'm going to remember to add that time. It adds a fresh vegetable flavor to it. Good job on the recipe and thanks for sharing with us!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I removed your entry that came up as a double entry, but you are right, the green pepper is WONDERFUL in it! Like it spicy (as my son and I do, I throw in a chopped jalapeno. Yummers!!

        Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      ReplyDelete