Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Ramen Noodle Upgrade


adapted: Mad Hungry Cravings

I am not a huge fan of ramen noodles, but do think that they have their place. Normally I don't purchase them, but I saw this recipe in Lucinda Scala Quinn's MAD HUNGRY CRAVINGS and must admit that they looked interesting and intriguing. They were! She bases her recipe off cold sesame noodles. I have never had these, so I can't compare, but must admit that even my husband enjoyed this recipe. The flavor was very unusual. In fact, just typing this up, I am starting to get a craving for them!

There were three things I did different from the original recipe. First, Ms. Quinn called for the pouring off of the broth before adding the "paste". I kept it to give it some broth. Second, I added toasted almonds and chow mein noodles to give it some crunch. Third, I used creamy, natural peanut butter, instead of the crunchy peanut butter she calls for, because it was the only thing I had in the house. I didn't see it as a problem except that the natural peanut butter is less sweet.

Regardless of how it is prepared, I found it to be a great lunch idea, snack or even a light dinner idea.

So, here we go!:

Ingredients:

1 ramen noodle cup or package (3 oz)
1 T. soy sauce
2 T. peanut butter (creamy or chunky)
1-2 t. Sriracha sauce
1 green onion sliced, optional
Toasted almond slivers and chow mein noodles, optional

Directions:

1) Prepare noodles as directed. If desired, pour off broth.

2) While noodles are preparing, combine soy sauce, peanut butter and Sriracha sauce in a small bowl. I microwaved mine for about a minute just to melt the peanut butter a bit and make for smoother blending.

3) Add "paste" to noodles and stir. Top with the onion, almonds and chow mein noodles if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment