Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Tricia Yearwood's Crock Pot Mac and Cheese



I LOVE THIS MAC AND CHEESE! I am always so nervous about using my crock pot to cook pasta that I don't due it frequently, but I will do this at a drop of a hat. This recipe goes together easily and requires no supervision, so I can focus on other dishes in my sofa tailgating. It is always partnered with Tricia's Barbecued Chicken, which I will be featuring on The Pub and Grub. They are just good eatin'!


Ingredients:

8 ounces cooked elbow macaroni
One 12-ounce can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick ) of butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper
2 large eggs, beaten
Two 10-ounce bricks sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (about 5 cups)

Directions:

1) In a large 4-quart crock pot very liberally sprayed with cooking spray, mix the macaroni, evaporated milk, milk, butter, salt, pepper, eggs and all but 1/2 cup of the grated cheese.
2) Sprinkle the reserved cheese over the top of the mixture.
3) Cover and cook on low heat for 3 hours and 15 minutes.

Note: If you don't have a crock pot, grease a 9-by-13-by-2-inch pan with cooking spray, add the mixture and bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes.

7 comments:

  1. What are your thoughts on using uncooked pasta?? I'm afraid using cookednoodles would turn to mush???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I have used both in crockpot cooking. The big thing with this recipe is to not let it overcook. I used uncooked elbow macaroni in my minestrone soup and it worked fine, but I can't make promises if you do it in here.

      Delete
    2. I made a veggie lasagna in a crock pot once and used the noodles uncooked and they turned out perfect to me. I like my noodles more firm and that is what these were.

      Delete
  2. I have made a variation of this recipe and used cooked noodles and they turned out great & not mushy. I usually cook my noodles to al dente and that seems to be a good fit for this recipe. They do get a little softer, so if you over cook them before you use them, then they will probably be mushy anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I fee like the noodle to cheese ratio isn't right. 5 cups of cheese to 1 cup of noodles...... Seems a little ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, that is the correct amount. Remember that the cheese is divided and you are supporting many liquids. It is a really cheesy mac and cheese. A word of warning...do not overcook. The noodles will turn out mushy. You just want enough time for the "custard" to set.

      Delete
  4. What happens if you don't use eggs?

    ReplyDelete