Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Grapefruit Margaritas (Serves 4)



Adapted: The Barefoot Contessa

I love margaritas. Not the margarita mix margaritas, but the ones loaded with fresh juices as a margarita is meant to be. I had was wandering around Allrecipes and came across a recipe for grapefruit margaritas, but a couple of the reviews said that they were too sweet and that made me somewhat leery, but still intrigued, so I continued my search for a GM that would tickle my fancy and go well with chicken fajitas I was making that night. I found the site of the Barefoot Contessa, and in that, THE Grapefruit Margarita recipe I was looking for. Although, I am not a huge fan of the Contessa..this one really struck my fancy, so I went into trying it right away. I must say it fit the bill I was looking for perfectly!


So, here we go!:

Drink Ingredients:

1 cup ruby red grapefruit juice (fresh squeezed or bottled)~I used OS Ruby Red and it was fine.
½ cup FRESH SQUEEZED lime juice (4 limes)
1 cup orange liqueur, such as Triple Sec or Grand Marnier
2 cups ice
1 cup BLANCO tequila (white/clear tequila)

Rimmer Ingredients (BC listed this as optional, but it is really needed to cut down on the tartness of the GF juice):

1 lime cut in wedges
Margarita or Kosher salt

Directions:

1) Rim your glasses, as instructed in the "How to Rim" tutorial. Place glasses in freezer to chill
2) When ready to serve, place all the drink ingredients in a blender and blend until ice is chopped.
3) Remove glasses from freezer. Add additional ice to glasses and pour margarita in. Place a lime wedge on the glass, if desired, and serve!

Note: This is an "on the rocks" margarita. It will not have the consistency of a frozen margarita.
Note: Normally I stress the need for fresh squeezed juices in any of my drink recipes. Although, the bottled Ruby Red Grapefruit juice worked well in this recipe, I wouldn't use concentrated lime juice. It is too rough tasting to support this recipe!


No comments:

Post a Comment