Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Monday, July 30, 2012

Malibu Rum Cupcakes

I never said I was a frosting pro!! It didn't effect the taste and that is all that matters! ; )



Original Recipe Link: (http://www.bystephanielynn.com/2011/12/malibu-mommy-cupcakes-featuring-duncan.html)

Anyone who knows anything about me knows that I am a tropical kind of girl. Love any and everything having to do with the tropics. When I came across these bad boys posted by "Under the Table and Dreaming by Stephanie Lynn.com", I knew I had to make them. We recently had a family reunion and it was the perfect time to do so! They were received well and almost all were gone by the end of the event.

Couple of points...first, I increased the rum in the frosting. I thought it was kind of weak and only gave the hint of rum which could barely be tasted. It did make the frosting a tad bit more watery than what is in the original posting. The original rum amount is in red. I also limited my frosting because it was incredibly sweet as prepared and I am not a fan of really sweet frosting. Second, I only like mini cupcakes, so that is what I made. Forty two cupcakes were produced. Bake them in the oven for 18-20 minutes at 350 degrees to sheer perfection!! Stephanie Lynn had massive cupcakes which looked awesome, as well.  I served them extremely chilled and one of the attendees told me that they almost tasted like ice cream. Next time I make these...and there will be 1/2 cup coconut added to the cake mix. I think it really would have made it pop!

So, here we go!

Ingredients:

Duncan Hines Classic White Cake Mix
3 Large Eggs
1 1/3 Cup of Water
2 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
1 Teaspoon of Malibu Rum


Ingredients Needed for Icing:
1 3/4 Sticks of Unsalted Butter, softened
8 cups of Confectioners Sugar
1/4 Cup of Milk
1/2 Cup of Malibu Rum (1/4 cup)
1 Teaspoon of Vanilla

For the cake:

1) Mix the Duncan Hines Cake Mix with eggs, water and vegetable oil.

2) Once completely combined, stir in the vanilla and rum. Bake as directed as to what style cupcake desired.
For the icing:
3) Mix the softened butter and vanilla with an electric mixer on low for one minute.

4) Continue mixing on low speed and add the milk and rum. This will look very watery until blended.

5) Gradually add in 6 cups of the confectioners sugar until the mixture is creamy.

6) Continue to add last two cups of sugar until a thick creamy consistency is achieved.



No comments:

Post a Comment