Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Monday, February 20, 2012

King Baby Cupcakes




Adapted: Mardi Gras Outlet and Cooksrecipes.com

When I had first come to Pinterest, I came across the recipe for King Baby Cupcakes and I knew it was something I would have fun making. So I eagerly awaited for my Mardi Gras menu cooking day and made sure that they were on them. Things started to fall apart last week, but I was destined to make it work. I had to have these little babies, so what did I do? I improvised! I promised the readers of this blog the good, bad and the ugly...this def. fell into one of the last two! ; )

The original recipe calls for a plastic baby to be placed upon each cupcake. My king babies are floating around postal land right now and weren't here on time. I looked high and low for substitutes, but none were to be had..so no king babies. That doesn't mean that there isn't a surprise in a couple of the cupcakes. Six lucky recipients will get an extra "kiss" with theirs. I placed 6 Hershey Kisses in my baking cups. Next, I wanted to try a new icing recipe. Although I loved the icing recipe, it didn't like my icing bags...so again, I had to improvise with my decorations. They didn't turn out exactly as I would have wished, but I think they will make it!  One thing I must say though..what they lack in prettiness, THEY MAKE UP IN TASTE! These were the tastiest little cakes I have had in a long time! This will def. become a recipe for me that I use throughout the year and don't limit to Mardi Gras time.

So, here we go:

Ingredients:

1 box yellow cake mix prepared according to directions on the back
Add 1 t. cinnamon added to prepared mix
Hersheys Kisses

Directions:

1) Prepare cupcake pan by placing liners in cups
2) Unwrap and place as many hershey kisses in the pan. I did 6 kisses


3) Fill each cup approximately 3/4 cup full
4) Bake as directed
5) Remove from oven and pan and let cool...give the cupcakes time to cool thoroughly

Meanwhile:

Icing Ingredients:

4 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
4-6 tablespoons creamer
1 stick butter melted
Food coloring
Decorator's sugar(clear)

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and use mix master, mix until well blended.
2) Remove approximately 1/2 cup each and place in 3 separate bowls






3) Add yellow, green and purple food colorings respectively and mix well. Decorate as you like. Sprinkle with decorator's sugar to set frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment