Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lasagna Rolls

Adapted: My Kitchen Apron

I love lasagna, but let's face it, it can be a really time consuming dish to make, if it is made well. So, in order to get my lasagna in a really quick way, I have really grown fond of lasagna rolls, so if I see a simple one that looks delicious, I am all over it! My original lasagna roll recipe contains no meat and spinach. While that is fine with me, the boys tend to grimace and grumble. So, during a digging around Pinterest session, I found another recipe that uses ground sausage which is my favorite meat to use in lasagna. I knew it was calling me to try it!



Ingredients:

1 lb Italian Sausage
1 small onion
5 garlic cloves, minced
10 Lasagna Noodles
3 cups mozzarella cheese, divided

Sauce:
1 Can 28 oz Crushed Tomatoes
1 T. Oregano
1/2 T. Paula Deen House Seasoning (see blog 02/17/2012)

Filling:
1 Container Ricotta Cheese
1 Egg
1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese (keep separate)

Instructions:

1) Prepare sauce by mixing all sauce ingredients in a sauce pan and let simmer for 1/2 an hour
2) Brown sausage with onion and garlic. Drain. Mix into sauce.


3) In very large pot with salted water, cook lasagna noodle for 12-14 minutes. Drain and lay out on cutting board
4) Prepare a 9x13 inch pan by spraying liberally with non-stick spray (you knew it was coming!) and then 1.5 cups of the sauce mix.
5) Mix ingredients for filling, except mozzerella cheese.
6) Spread 1/4 cup of filling down noodle and sprinkle with mozzerella cheese. Roll as tightly as possible. Continue with all 10 lasagna noodles.


7) Place all rolls in the pan and top with the remainder of the sauce.





8) Place in a 350 degree oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and top with remaining 2 cups of cheese and bake for another 15 minutes.


9) Remove from oven and let sit for approximately 10 minutes before serving.



On a final note: I vary on how saucy I like my lasagna rolls. Sometimes I like it oozing sauce and sometimes I like it a bit on the dry side. This recipe was a bit on the dry side. If you like it saucier, simply increase the sauce ingredients by one half or double them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment