Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Saturday, November 10, 2012

The Tipsy Monk

I have found a DYNAMIC new cookbook author by the name of Billy Taylor on Amazon. His book was an Amazon freebie, which I grabbed and have been unable to put down. I would have GLADLY paid the book's shelf price though.

Those of you who know me or have followed me for the tiniest length of time know I love me some coffee. I have used it in drinks, as a beef rub, in my desserts. I am not picky! So, when I saw a cookbook with the title Unforgettable Fall Recipes with Coffee: A Seasonal Collection of Gourmet Recipes for Coffee Cakes, Sweets and Warming Drinks, I was SO over that bad boy!!


Anyway, my eyes found so many great recipes which I will be bringing to the Pub and Grub at a later time, but one really stood out to me as we come into the cooler weather and nights by the fires or holiday gatherings that I wanted to bring it to your attention right away.

Now, as to be expected, I tweaked it a bit for my husband's and my tastes, but I am giving you both recipes. I do only have pictures of my version. We had tried the original recipe and then decided we needed to soften it a bit and, thus, came up with our version. Let's just say it was a happy morning in the Blackburn home!

By the way, I have NO idea what double cream is. I know he said coddled cream could be used but I was WAY too lazy to go through the process to make Coddled Cream...might do it if I was serving this at a party though!

This first is Billy's original recipe. I don't like my coffee black, so it was a bit bitter for my husband and I. If you do like your coffees with no creamer in it, you probably won't have issues with So here we go:

* I used a 14 oz coffee mug for my recipe warmed in a 170 degree oven.


The Tipsy Monk (Original)

1/2 T. Amaretto
1/2 T. Creame de Cacao
1/2 T. Frangelico
1/2 T. Triple Sec
STRONG FRESH BREWED Coffee
Double Cream and Cocoa to serve

Directions:

1) In a warmed mug, combine all the liquors and swirl.

2) Add coffee, filling about 2/3 way full

3) Serve with the cream and cocoa.

The Tipsy Monk (Blackburn Style!)



Ingredients:

1/2 T. Amaretto
1/2 T. Creame de Cacao
1/2 T. Frangelico
1/2 T. Triple Sec
2 t. sugar, equal or brown sugar
2 T. half and half
STRONG FRESH BREWED Coffee
Canned whipped cream and sweetened cocoa

Directions:

1) In a warmed mug, combine all the liquors, cream, sugar and stir gently.

2) Add coffee, filling about 2/3 full.

3) Top with canned whipped cream and sweetened cocoa. Serve IMMEDIATELY!

No comments:

Post a Comment