Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Surprise Blueberry Bread



Adapted: Fresh Fruit Quick Breads: In the Pantry Quick Bread by Joyce Middleton
Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006Z0MS1I/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title



I keep going on and on about the freebie cookbooks that I get from Amazon.com. This little gem was another one. I have made two different breads from it and both were hits!

I love to take fresh treats to my live book club. It allows me to try out new recipes for sweet treats without having them stick around the house. Plus, I am able to get feedback on whether the recipes are a hit or not. This loaf was definitely a hit. Another plus, this recipe was so easy to make, I just whipped it up and 15 minutes later it was in the oven. Although the original recipe said it made one loaf, I did mine into 2 mini loaves, but kept the cooking time the same.

So, here we go:

Ingredients:

2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons all  purpose flour, divided
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
2/3 cup orange juice
2 Tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries. If frozen used, do not defrost.

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2) In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.



3) Whisk the egg, orange juice and butter together.

 Stir into the dry ingredients JUST UNTIL MOISTENED!
4) Toss blueberries with the 2 Tablespoons flour. Fold these into the batter. OK I have to admit to an rookie cooking mistake. I accidentally skipped this part and just tossed the blueberries into the batter. No problems happened!


5) Pour batter into prepared pan(s) and bake for 60-65 degree oven. Loaves are done when an inserted knife comes out clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment