Tuesday, April 24, 2012
Surprise Blueberry Bread
Adapted: Fresh Fruit Quick Breads: In the Pantry Quick Bread by Joyce Middleton
I keep going on and on about the freebie cookbooks that I get from Amazon.com. This little gem was another one. I have made two different breads from it and both were hits!
I love to take fresh treats to my live book club. It allows me to try out new recipes for sweet treats without having them stick around the house. Plus, I am able to get feedback on whether the recipes are a hit or not. This loaf was definitely a hit. Another plus, this recipe was so easy to make, I just whipped it up and 15 minutes later it was in the oven. Although the original recipe said it made one loaf, I did mine into 2 mini loaves, but kept the cooking time the same.
So, here we go:
2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour, divided
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup orange juice
2 Tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries. If frozen used, do not defrost.
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2) In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
3) Whisk the egg, orange juice and butter together.
4) Toss blueberries with the 2 Tablespoons flour. Fold these into the batter. OK I have to admit to an rookie cooking mistake. I accidentally skipped this part and just tossed the blueberries into the batter. No problems happened!
5) Pour batter into prepared pan(s) and bake for 60-65 degree oven. Loaves are done when an inserted knife comes out clean.