Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Irish Pub Stew




Irish Pub Stew with Blarney Stone Bread

Adapted: Irish Food and Cooking by Lev Well
Link: http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Food-Drinks-Recipes-ebook/dp/B005EHQJ1I/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_5

I have talked about the free cookbooks I get on Amazon.com. I grabbed one called Irish Food and Drink by Lev Well. I love this book! I have used it frequently in my St. Patrick's Day meal planning. In there, there is a recipe for Irish Pub Stew, which is chock loaded with meat and veggies. I have a large number of Lev Well, Irish recipes that we will be trying this month, so I hope ya' stick around!!

I must say that my home smelled so good that I was drooling the whole time it was cooking. Did I adapt the recipe to my own liking..you know I did, but I think the original would have been just as good. Also, the entire pot of stew was gone in one night! I couldn't believe it.

So here we go:

Ingredients:
1.5 lbs beef stew meat
1/4 cup butter
6 potatoes, unpeeled and chopped in larger chunks
20 baby carrots cut in half
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 onions, chopped
1 can tomato soup
1 soup can water or beer (I used Guiness Stout, but a lighter beer could be used)
1/2 cup dried parsley
3 bay leaves
2 tablespoons Paula Deen house seasoning (revamped)

Directions:

NOTE: A heavy baking dish is needed for this recipe. Cast iron is what I use for all my baking of stews such as these.

1) Preheat oven to 250 degrees. and brown beef in the butter.
2) Add potatoes, carrots, celery and onions to pot.
3) Pour tomato soup over all and then top with one can of either beer or water
4) Add parsley, bay leaves and house seasoning and stir
5) Place in oven and bake for 5 hours stirring several times during baking process.

It is that simple and so worth the wait! I am still full from last night!



No comments:

Post a Comment