Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Easy Spaghetti and Meatballs


Sorry about the shadows, my camera didn't want to cooperate!

One of my husband's favorite dishes is spaghetti and meatballs. Normally, I use a recipe which bakes the meatball which I then freeze and thaw the number of meatballs I need for my family as needed. Like their mama, I use the Deen Brothers recipes alot. However, like their mama, I find that I need to do alot of adjustment with the salt content. So, when I came across this one, I knew I needed to try it. We enjoy it alot, but, as I knew, I needed to adjust the salt. So, as the basics of the recipe are the same as the boys' original recipe, I have changed a number of the seasonings.

So, here we go:

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef
6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup plain Italian bread crumbs
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coarse pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons olive oil
One 24-ounce jar marinara sauce or 24 ounces homemade spaghetti sauce
1 pound spaghetti

Directions:

1) In a bowl, combine the beef, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, egg, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano.



2) Form the mixture into 2-inch round meatballs. There should be about 30 meatballs.



3) Spray pan liberally with cooking spray and heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes total, or until golden brown.


Add the marinara sauce and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the meatballs are no longer pink. Cover and keep warm.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions. Drain well. Divide the spaghetti among four shallow bowls and top with the meatballs and sauce. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment