Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Crockpot French Onion Soup (Serves 3)

Adapted: Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking, Stephanie O'Dea

Let's just say I love my crockpot! I feel there are days when I absolutely couldn't live without my crock. I have crockpots of many sizes and functions and have had days where every single aspect of my meal has gone into a crockpot. With that said, Stephanie O'Dea (http://stephanieodea.com/) is absolutely my "go to girl".

On that note, I love, love, love French Onion Soup with all of its' beefy saltiness and gooey cheesiness. I salivate just thinking about it! So, as I was wandering around her cookbook Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking, my eyes bugged out! I knew I had to make it and make it I did! Then I made up reasons to make it. So with today being Valentine's Day and a huge menu in the works, I knew this was going to be my first course. This recipe is simple, fantastic and leaves a wonderful smell in the home.

So, on that note, here we go~

Ingredients:

3 T. Butter (no margarine here)
2 Yellow Onions~thinly sliced
2 (15oz) Cans of Beef Broth (I prefer Beef Stock, it is richer and beefier!)
1/2 T. Sugar
1/2 t. KOSHER salt
1/4 c. DRY sherry
3 slices of toasted French bread
Grated Swiss cheese

Directions:
1) Turn your crockpot to high. Place butter in it to start it melting. Once progress has been made, add your onions and swirl them in the butter.
2) Add the broth, sherry, salt and sugar.

3) Cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours. You can also cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Now comes the tricky part:

4) Ladle soup into individual crocks and place on cookie sheet. MAKE SURE THE CROCKS ARE OVEN SAFE!!

5) Top with slice of French bread and cheese
6) Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment