Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Grown-up's Grilled Cheese~Recipe Review

Adapted: Care's Kitchen
Link: http://www.careskitchen.com/2012/02/grilled-cheese-with-roast-beef-and.html




One guess where I came across this recipe! If you guessed Pinterest, you are right! There was something that was reminscent to me of a patty melt, so I knew I had to make it. This is made with deli roast beef though..so it is a tad easier to make. As written, I had 4 whole sandwiches come out of this. These are really filling sandwiches though, so it is realistic that one could get 8 servings from them.

So, here we go:

Ingredients:

8 slices of a really hearty bread. I used an Italian bread




1 lb Roast Beef
12 slices of cheese. I used American Cheese
1 sweet onion thinly sliced
1 T. butter
1/2 t. balsamic vinegar


Directions:

1) Liberally butter slices of bread
2) Liberally spray non-stick frying pan with cooking spray.
3) Place butter and onion in pan. Allow to soften. This should take appr. 10 minutes. Remove from pan and place in bowl near frying pan. Clean pan.


3) Liberally spray with cooking spray. Allow pan to reheat. Place one slice of bread in frying pan and top with cheese. Give it some time to "bubble up" and top with 6 slices of roast beef and 2 Tablespoons of onions. Place second piece of bread on top of onions, buttered side up.


I know it isn't the best picture, but really wanted to give a shot of what it should look like
and my camera wouldn't cooperate!

4) VERY CAREFULLY, flip sandwich and allow side to brown. Trust me, they like to give a hard time!
5) Remove from pan and place in a 170 degree oven while preparing other sandwiches and the rest of the meal. This allows the sandwiches to heat through if anything was missed.
6) Cut and Serve! I served mine with Beer Soaked Fries and Baked Potato Chips (I had to get the healthiness in somewhere!)

My thoughts:

My family really enjoyed these but, even with the balsamic onions, felt they were lacking something. However, we decided that they would be "beefed up" (really, no pun intended) by smearing unbuttered side of bread with a french onion spread or even a chive cream cheese thinned with a tiny bit of milk. I will definitely do this next time I make these...and there will be a next time.

The other thing that stood out with this sandwich is that it would be very easy to play with the deli meat and cheeses they were made with. For example, a ham and swiss cheese sandwich or, how about a turkey, bacon and provalone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment