I came across this recipe several years ago and it is now a staple in our house. We never have leftovers and the gravy goes beautifully over my super easy homemade garlic mashed potatoes; however, you can serve over rice or egg noodles just as well. On a side note, I use diet Sprite in my dish. I have found it is not as sweet as using the sugared pop, plus I also save save calories.
So, here we go! :
4 (4 ounce) cube steaks
1 medium onion sliced
1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon Paula Deen's revamped House Seasoning http://thepubandgrubforum.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-favorite-seasoningspaula-deen-house.html
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage, such as 7-up or Sprite
2 cans condensed cream of mushroom soup or low fat cream of mushroom soup
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1 (4 oz) can sliced mushrooms, optional
2) Season the steaks on both sides with Cajun seasoning and Paula Deen's Revamped House Seasoning Place the steaks into the prepared baking dish. Top with sliced onions.
3) Pour the lemon-lime beverage over them.
4) Combine the cream of mushroom soup and dry onion soup mix, and pour over the steaks.
5) Bake, uncovered, for about 1 hour. Do not open the oven door during the first hour of cooking.
6) Serve steaks with gravy spooned over starch (potatoes, rice egg noodles), as well.
Now for the Super Easy Homemade Garlic Mashed Potatoes (my recipe)
10 Russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
1/2 cup milk at room temperature
1 Tablespoon Paula Deen's House Seasoning Revamped (http://thepubandgrubforum.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-favorite-seasoningspaula-deen-house.html
1/4 cup butter
1) Place potatoes in pan and cover with water. Boil for approximately 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
2) Add milk, house seasoning and butter in pan and mash using either a mix master or a potato masher. I do prefer using a mix master to make the potatoes really smooth
3) If desired, add an extra 2 tablespoons of butter.