I love a baked fish. My husband doesn't! He prefers his deep fried with a beer batter coating. Let's just say that isn't going to happen in my kitchen very often and by very often, I mean twice in the 22 years we have been married! As a result, I have had to search and play with recipes which will get him to love the taste of baked fish. This one has received the seal of Pat approval, so if it can work for Pat, I am sure it will work for your fish haters as well! I also love this dish because prep and clean up is so easy.
Although I have included my basic recipe for this, I love baking it in the summer when my veggies are fresh and I can walk out my back porch and pull off some fresh veggies. Other veggies I have thrown in the packet include summer squash, green beans, zucchini, green onions and spinach. I also grab the jalapeno pepper and tomatoes right off the plant. The spiciness of the jalapeno pepper softens greatly and picks up the other flavors of the veggies! I have played with this recipe alot and come up with various versions including a Mexican version. The taste just cannot be beaten.
I serve this with either a white or brown rice. The juices that come off this dish make a superb "topping" for the rice.
Really have fish haters in your home, I have also made this dish with a thin cut chicken breast and also had a wonderful results. I simply love the fish version though..so the chicken was done as a "test" dish.
So, here we go:
4 Tilapia fillets
2 teaspoons Paula Deen House Seasoning Revamped (I have also used my homemade Adobo seasoning)
1.5 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Jalapeno pepper sliced thinly
1 large tomato seeded and chopped
1 lemon sliced thinly
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees and cut two slices of tinfoil the same length. Place tinfoil on large cookie sheet and spray bottom tinfoil with olive oil cooking spray.
2) Place fish (or chicken) on tinfoil and place a bit of olive oil one each piece of fish. Spread it with your fingers or a brush. Sprinkle liberally with PD house seasoning or Adobo seasoning.
3) Cut up the veggies/lemon you want to put in the packet and top the fish with them. Place veggies on top of the fish and then end with the lemon slices.
4) Seal with the top sheet of tinfoil ensuring that the edges are sealed well.
5) Bake in oven for approximately 20-25 minutes depending on thickness of fish and veggies included.
6) Remove from oven and serve!