Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Cabbage with Bacon




Adapted: Irish Recipes, Mouth Watering Direct from the Emerald Isle by Bryan J. Bowers
Link: http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Recipes-Mouthwatering-Emerald-ebook/dp/B006ZLX75S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332079744&sr=8-1



Another freebie from Amazon Kindle, I consider myself extremely lucky to get this book. Like the Dutch Oven Corned Beef, this recipe allowed me to wander outside my realm of comfort with my cabbage. Although, I have made something similar and did adjust the author's original recipe, it was fantastic. I partnered this with an "Irish" scalloped potato recipe and it was FANTASTIC!

So, here we go:

Ingredients:

1/2 pound bacon
5 green onions chopped
1 head cabbage sliced
1/2 cup water
Apple cider vinegar

Directions:

1) Add bacon and green onion to large sauce pan. Cook until very lightly browned. It is better to be safe than sorry.

Bacon can go from beautiful to beastly very quickly so I tend to do mine under a bit.
2) Remove from pan but leave most grease behind.
3) Add cabbage and water and cover. Allow to start to cook down.
4) Return bacon/onions to pan and finish until cabbage really breaks down.
5) Serve with apple cider vinegar and allow people to season with it as they desire.

NOTE: The recipe's author had listed a 10-12 minute cooking time. Mine took about 30 minutes. I did cook mine at a lower temperature than listed in the original recipe, but all the ingredients in this recipe can become a disaster if burnt. I would rather be safe than sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment