Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Dutch Oven Corned Beef Brisket





Adapted: Irish Food and Drink Recipes
Link: http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Food-Drinks-Recipes-ebook/dp/B005EHQJ1I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332075786&sr=8-1


As many of you know who have been following this blog, at least this month, I stumbled upon this "free kindle book" and set out to try the recipes in them. I have not been disappointed. Bored with my standard boiling of my corned beef with the potatoes, carrots and cabbage, I set out to expand my horizons this St. Patty's Day and bake it. Yes, I know...I am quite the adventurer.

The book had a recipe in it for a Dutch Oven Corned Beef Brisket and I ventured in. My family has said it is the best corned beef I have ever made. There was a sweetness to it, but you could definitely taste the essence of Guinness Stout. The success of this dish has really made me want to venture into new ways to make my briskets.

So, here we go:

Ingredients:

4 lb corned beef brisket (I used a flat cut)
1 cup brown sugar
12 oz Guinness Stout

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. VERY IMPORTANT~ Place a cooking rack in a dutch oven. It is important that the meat not "sit" in the liquid.
2) Rinse the brisket and dry.
3) Rub the sugar into the meat and place the meat on the cooking rack inside the dutch oven.
4) Slowly pour the stout over the beef to just wet it and then around the meat.
5) Cook for approximately 2.5 hours (meat should be at 180 degrees F.)


6) Brush brisket with cooking liquid periodically during baking time.
7) When finished allow roast to sit in cooking pan for approximately 20 minutes with the lid on. Then remove to cutting board and allow it to sit another 15 minutes. This will allow the brisket to slice beautifully.

*NOTE: Sadly, the cooking liquid really "soured" up. I was hoping that it would have turned into a beautiful dipping sauce for the brisket, but, alas, it didn't and I didn't see a way to save it. The "potency" of the stout really reared its' ugly head after cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment