Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Monday, January 13, 2014

Slow Cooker Five-Spice Pot Roast





I am in love. I didn't see it coming, but I am in love.

Recently, I was turned down to review the cookbook BEATING THE LUNCHTIME BLUES: FRESH IDEAS FOR LUNCHES ON THE GO by JM Hirch. I put it out of my mind until I saw it on my library's shelf, so I went ahead and grabbed it.  I loved that cookbook and rated it 4 stars UNTIL I started trying the recipes. It is sitting in my Amazon cart waiting for my next order.



The first one is this dandy and easy crock pot roast. It is unlike any other roast I have tried with its Asian flare. The flavors were soft with a hint of the 5 spice powder. The gravy on this roast was fantastic. It was rich and smooth. I put it in the slow cooker at 7 am and we were eating by 4 pm. I will admit that the author was off in his cooking times. As promised, not only did we have enough for dinner last night, but plenty for lunch today.

I partnered it with my Fried Rice side. At first, I was concerned, but it paired perfectly. Next time, I might even try some cinnamon mashed sweet potatoes.  A second lesson that I learned from this recipe is to greatly increase the carrots. The baby carrots fit this beautifully and next time, I will use a full bag of them.

So, here we go!:

Ingredients:

1 T. Olive Oil
2 yellow onions, sliced
1 8 oz bag baby carrots
5 lb Chuck Roast
2 T. Cornstarch
1 T. 5 spice powder
1 t. kosher salt (original recipe calls for 2 teaspoons)
1 t. black pepper
1t. garlic powder
6 oz can tomato paste

Directions:

1) In a 6 qt crock pot, drizzle olive oil on the bottom. Add onions and carrots. Put roast on top.

2) In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, 5 spice powder, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder and tomato paste. Spread over roast.

3


3) Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with a side. See my recommendations above.


No comments:

Post a Comment