Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Pico de Gallo (2 cups)



I love Pico de Gallo with my Latin/Mexican food. It adds so much freshness that I can't stand it. Most commercially prepared Pico de Gallo is finely chopped, which I am not a fan of because I feel that the flavors can be lost. When I prepare my own, which is often during late Spring, Summer and early Fall, I prefer larger chunks of the ingredients to really grab the fresh flavors. Homemade PdG is so incredibly simple to make and can be made for pennies on the dollar and, in my opinion, the freshness is like comparing apples to oranges. I can vary the spiciness depending on who I am serving, where my son and I love spiciness, my husband isn't quite the fan!

So, here we go!

Ingredients:

3 tomatoes, quartered, seeded and chopped to desired size
1/2 red onion, chopped to desired size
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 T. Adobo seasoning (see recipe under MY FAVORITE SEASONINGS)
1/2 lime juiced into bowl
1/2 T. Canola oil
1/2 large jalapeno, seeded and chopped finely (this is important to do with this pepper), if desired depending on desired spice level.

Directions:

1) Combine all ingredients in a bowl and place in a covered container. Allow flavors to blend for a couple of hours before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment