Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Paula Deen's Smothered Chicken


Last week, I had a week from HELL..don't know how else to describe it. Normally, I wouldn't do comfort food at this time of year, but I wanted some comfort food! So, naturally I turned to my Paula Deen Southern Cooking Bible cookbook and came across her recipe for smothered chicken that didn't look too bad if I ate little gravy and chicken. This dish was SO good and it cured my craving for comfort food. Also, made that week go from a boulder to a pebble in its' hellishness!

This dish has a thick, southern flare gravy. The chicken after being pan fried is then placed in the gravy to cook soaking up some of that gravy. My two boys inhaled the rest of the chicken and said it is one of their favorites out of this cookbook of hers. Now, I don't know about that..it was really, really tasty, but there are some that I definitely like better.

Now, as to be expected, I did make some changes because I though, as written, it could stand a bit more seasoning (Paula Deen's House Seasoning, of course!) so here we go!:

Ingredients:

1 cup all purpose flour
1 T Paula Deen's House Seasoning, divided
1 whole chicken (3 1/2 lbs) cut up
4 T. BUTTER!
1 small onion, chopped
1 small green, pepper, chopped
1 1/2 cups WHOLE milk (don't substitute!!)
1/2 cup water

Directions:

1) Place flour and 1 t. of PDHS in a Ziploc bag. Add chicken pieces one at a time. Shaking to coat. DON'T THROW THE FLOUR AWAY!

2) In the meantime, spray large frying pan with cooking spray and melt butter

3) Fry pieces and place in a warm oven to keep warm


4) In the skillet, cook onion and green pepper until translucent.

5) Add 3 T. of the reserved flour mixture and stir. Add remaining 2 t. of PDHS. Add milk slowly and whisk to ensure no flour clumps. Add 1/2 cup water slowly.


5) Return chicken to the pan, cover and simmer on low heat until chicken is tender. It took my chicken about 40 minutes, I think. Flip the chicken several times through out the cooking time to ensure no sticking. I also scraped the bottom to ensure no burning.



No comments:

Post a Comment