Sunday, October 21, 2012
Cafe Rio Slow Cooker Chicken with Cafe Rio Cilantro Rice
Anyone who has followed the Pub and Grub for the shortest length of time know that the Blackburns LOVE some Mexican food! So, when I found this recipe on the Six Sisters site AND it used a crock pot, I knew it was on the Chicago Bear sofa tailgating menu! Now, this makes a TON of these tortillas and I think next time I would halve the recipe, but it was a winner in our home.
Wanna go healthy? Use low fat sour cream, cheeses and whole wheat tortillas!
3 lbs chicken breasts
8 oz Italian dressing
1 T. cumin
1 T. chili powder
Burrito sized tortillas
Garnishes: sour cream; salsa; shredded lettuce; chopped tomato; chopped green onion; cilantro rice (recipe below); cheddar or Mexican blend cheese; avocado; warmed black beans
1) In a bowl, combine Italian dressing, cumin and chili powder.
2) Place chicken breasts in a crock pot and pour sauce over chicken. Stir to cover.
3) Cover and cook on high for 5 hours. Shred chicken and return to crock pot. Keep warm.
Cafe Rio Cilantro Rice:
2 cups uncooked rice
2 cups chopped cilantro
1 cup salsa verde
1 bunch chopped green onions
4 cups water
Pinch of salt
1) Mix the cilantro with 2 coups of water in the pan you are going to cook the rice with and 2 more cups water and the salt, salsa verde and green onions.
2) Bring to a boil and stir in the rice into BOILING water. Cover and turn the heat down.
3) Steam for 30 minutes and stir before serving.