Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Stephanie O'Dea's Crock Pot Acorn Squash


adapted: Stephanie O'Dea

One of my crock pot "go to girls" is Stephanie O'Dea. I own both of her crock pot cookbooks, Make It Fast,Cook it Slow and More Make It Fast, Cook It Slow. I use both regularly in my crock pot cooking. I am also a big fan of those considered to be in the squash family. When I found this in one of the cookbooks, it was a matter of time before I made it.

Now, she said to quarter the squash, but I like mine cut in half. First, it soaks in the butter/sugar mixture so the flavor just explodes when it is bitten into. Second, my husband and I are the only ones to eat the squash so I like the presentation better.

On a final note, Stephanie uses salt in her recipe. I am trying to cut salt in my family's cooking, so I omitted it. I couldn't tell the difference. 

So, here we go!

Ingredients:

acorn squash  
2 T brown sugar  
2 T butter  
2 tsp cinnamon
Directions.





1) Cut the squash in half, and scoop out the seeds and stringy pulp.
 
2) Put 1 T of butter, 1T of brown sugar and 1 t. into each half.  Place the pieces into your crock pot. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours, or low for about 3. The squash is finished when it is fork tender and peels away from the skin easily.

1 comment:

  1. yu, Naomi! I'm so happy you enjoyed your dinner. :-) Happy Slow Cooking!

    ReplyDelete