Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Blog to Give: New for 2013

My friend and fellow blogger, Dee Fisher, recently posted that she would be donating money to charities for each blog she posted. Amazed at her generosity, I felt I could do the same thing for both my blogs. This is not only to give much needed cash to support these organizations, but to bring visibility, as well.

I will choose one charity per month. For each posting, I will donate one dollar (remember I have 2 blogs) to the organization. The only months this will be different is for the months of January and February.

So, for January and February, I will be donating to the animal rescue, FUR ANGELS ANIMAL SANCTUARY located in Northern Illinois. 


I have several reasons for choosing this organization as my first recipient. First, as I leave the Northern Illinois area, I am in the process of bringing a stray cat into my home that I have grown particularly attached to. Amber Kay, the Founder and President of Fur Angels, has been wonderful at working with me through the process of bringing Buddy into the Blackburn family and helping him adjust to living indoors.

I have a second reason for choosing this wonderful rescue. In October, 2009, I responded to a Petfinder.com posting for a rat who was described as needing a special home. Being an owner of over 40 pet rats, I knew that Ricky wouldn't go to the typical home, IF anyone took him. As I investigated deeper, I found out that Ricky had been abandoned by his previous owners. Instead of taking him with them, these cruel owners, evicted from their apartment, left him in a dark closet FOR WEEKS for the property manager to find. Rick was a scared little boy who took out his fear, in the only way he knew how, through biting and attacking anyone coming near his cage, while he was at the foster home. I knew I had to have him. So, off I went to meet with Janelle Ball, a foster mom, with Fur Angels and adopted Ricky almost immediately. My vet thought I was insane as I was describing Rick to him on the phone, while I was adopting him, and asking him how to work with Ricky.

By the time I got Ricky to the vet's office later that night, he was a totally different rat. He was calm, docile and snuggling up next to me. My vet, who walked in with a pair of welding gloves, looked at me and said with amazement "This is the rat you were talking about?" Ricky only continued to thrive. He took to his litter box right away. Got along with my other rat, Nicky and the two would often play and snuggle up next to one another. It was fantastic. One of his favorite things was to go outside on warm days and dig in the dirt.



I lost my Ricky on December 31, 2010, but there isn't a day that when I see his picture that I don't smile and remember that funny little rat, with a huge personality, waiting for me to open the door so he could climb down the porch stairs and hit the dirt. So, in his memory, January and February's donations will go to this wonderful organization.

Interested in learning more about Fur Angels Animal Sanctuary or finding your next forever friend? Donations are good too! These can be made through Pay Pal or Check.

Website: http://www.furangelsas.com/index.html




No comments:

Post a Comment