Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Chocolate Decadence Cake (serves 4)

Adapted: Allrecipes.com



Today is Valentine's Day. I love to show my love for my boys by stuffing them full of rich foods! When it comes to what was going to be on my Valentine's Day menu, I knew this was going to be one of the things. It is easy to make and comes off as though it wasn't! Just what I like..when they come home, I act as though I have been on my feet all day!

This is a cake which has a solid outside and a liquid inside. Depending on how liquidy you want it, lengthen the cooking time and that is what I love about it. I have been known to top this with whipped cream, raspberries, strawberries, ice cream with choc. topping (depending on how bad I am jonesing for some chocolate). This cake can be described as simple, yet elegant (just the way I like it)!

So, here we go~

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
4 oz BITTERSWEET Chocolate (this is the equiv. of 4 squares)
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.  Very liberally spray four 4 ounce ramekins or custard cups with non-stick cooking spray. You can also use butter/flour combination to prepare pans. I simply prefer the nonstick spray route.  During this time, pull your cake ingredients together. This will need to come together quick, so you won't have time to be gathering ingredients.

2) Beat the eggs, egg yolks and sugar together until light colored and thick.

3) In the top half of a double boiler or a metal bowl set over simmering water, heat the butter and the chocolate until chocolate is almost completely melted. I prefer using a metal bowl. I find that my space isn't as constricted as it is when I use a double boiler.                      

4) Using a wire whisk, beat together the melted chocolate and butter, so it is completely melted. Then, slowly pour the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture, then quickly beat in the flour and mix until just combined.               

5) Divide the batter between the four molds and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. I have seen some recipes go as little as 6 minutes and some as long as 11. As I stated, I like mine with a bit more cake than "center". The centers of the cakes will still be quite soft. Invert cakes on serving plates and let sit for about 15 seconds, then unmold.

6) Serve immediately with your choice of toppings.

1 comment: