Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookie Bars





Adapted: Martha Stewart
I noticed a recipe similar to this pinned yesterday on Pinterest. The recipe was similar to a magic cookie bar complete with coconut and pecans. Now, my boys are not fond of coconut and won't eat it. They will eat pecans, but I had none in the house and I really prefer my chocolate chip cookie with walnuts so I swapped out the pecans for the walnuts.

When I first read the recipe, I was concerned with some of the reviewers' comments regarding dryness of the crust and the fragility of the crust..so I set out to work on that. Here is what I came with. First, I changed the pan size to a 9 x 13 pan. Then , I added a full 2 sticks of butter to the crust instead of the stick and a half that the original recipe calls for. It is really important to note that these bars take several hours to completely cool. Allow them to do that before cutting.

Don't be surprised if the edges of the cookie bar burn. That is to be expected. I simply trimmed them up and all the goodness was less than an inch in!

So, here we go!
Ingredients:
3 cups finely ground graham crackers, 3 packages
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup walnut pieces
1 packages semisweet chocolate chips
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Important: Brush a 9 x13 pan with water and line with parchment paper.
2) In a large bowl, stir together graham crackers, sugar, and butter until combined. Evenly press onto bottom of pan.




3) Bake, rotating halfway through, until firm, about 10 minutes.
4) Transfer to a wire rack; cool, about 20 minutes.
5) Sprinkle cooled crust evenly with walnuts and chocolate.


6) Pour condensed milk over the top, spreading to cover completely.
7) Bake 20 to 25 minutes.
8) Transfer to rack; cool completely.
9) Cut into equal-size bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment