Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Chicken Enchilada Pasta

adapted from: The Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife (Orig. Pearls, Handcuffs and Happy Hour)

I have recently come across a blogger whom I admire from afar (and not in a creepy sort of way although I know that line comes off sounding that way!). Not only does Mercedes serve our country everyday by taking care of her Naval Officer hubby, to boot, she has some mighty awesome recipes on her site (The Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife ) When I came across this one, the pasta aspect kind of scared me, but my love of Mexican food wouldn't let me ignore it. I served it with a pitcher of my Agave Nectar Margaritas (Agave Nectar Margaritas ) and I had NO LEFTOVERS! This recipe is SO tasty. Now, I think I could have gotten away with parboiling some bone in chicken breasts, instead of purchasing a rotisserie chicken and all would have been copacetic. When I make this recipe again, that is what I will do.

So here we go:

Ingredients:

1 Rotisserie Chicken or 3 parboiled bone in chicken breasts, shredded
2 T. Olive Oil
1 t. jarred garlic or 2 garlic cloves chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 RED pepper diced
1 (4oz) can diced green chiles
1/2 t. salt
2 t. chili powder
1 t. cumin
1 cans GREEN chili enchilada sauce (10 oz each)
2/3 cups Red Enchilada Sauce
2 cups Cojack cheese shredded
1 cup sour cream
16 oz Penne pasta

Directions:

1) Heat olive oil in a deep skillet and cook onions for 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
2)  Add cooked chicken, green chiles, cumin, chili powder, salt, and enchilada sauces. Let sauce simmer for about 8-10 minutes.
3) Boil pasta according to package. Drain and set aside.
4) Add cheese and stir until the cheese is melted and heated through. 
5) TURN DOWN TO A LOW SIMMER!!!!
6) Slowly add the sour cream. Stir until sour cream is well mixed and heated through. DON'T LET MIXTURE BOIL, AS IT CAN CURDLE!!!
7) Add Pasta to the skillet with the cheese sauce; mix well. Serve and garnish with desired toppings.
 
Here is a list of toppings from Mercedes' site:
 
Avocado
Green Onions
Black Olives
Tomatoes
Sour Cream
 
And may I add:
 
Salsa
Guacamole
Chopped onions (not green)
Extra cheese
 
This dish takes a bit more time, but it is SO worth it. I even find it ENTERTAINMENT WORTHY!
 
Avocado
Green Onions
Black Olives
Tomatoes
Sour Cream
 
Avocado
Green Onions
Black Olives
Tomatoes
Sour Cream
 

No comments:

Post a Comment