Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Paula Deen's Mahi Mahi with Zesty Butter


I love a lot of things, but some of my favorites in the kitchen are a tasty fish and Paula Deen. When I came across this recipe, it was an opportunity for those two favorites to come together and, as usual, Ms. Paula did not disappoint.

Now, this recipe is a bit different. Ms. Paula calls for Mahi-Mahi in her recipe, but I am a fan of Tilapia and find the portion size to be just perfect for me. So, I swapped it out for the Mahi-Mahi. I am sure any firm white fish would do! This was SO simple too and took only 15 minutes to prepare.

One other change that I made was that I substituted out the simple salt and pepper she called for to her Paula Deen House Seasoning, which is hands down my favorite seasoning in the kitchen. I make a pound or so of this stuff at one time! Look under "My Favorite Seasonings" for my revamped, less salty version.

I served this with a nice Riesling wine, The Pioneer Woman's Spinach Salad and fresh tomatoes from my garden. My tummy was smiling after this dinner! Even my husband didn't complain about the fish!!

So, here we go!

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
1 t. Paula Deen House Seasoning, revamped (see my favorite seasonings), DIVIDED
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
4 fillets Mahi-Mahi or any firm white fish
3 tablespoons olive oil
Directions:

1) Combine the butter, lemon juice, garlic, 1/2 t. PDHS and basil in a medium saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring until the butter melts. Cover and REMOVE FROM HEAT TO AVOID BURNING BUTTER.

2) Spray pan liberally with cooking spray and then heat the olive oil in a large pan (Paula used a grilling skillet on her show and I used a regular skillet) over medium heat. Season the fish with the other 1/2 t. of PDHS. Cook the fish for 3 minutes; turn and cook until just opaque, about 3 to 4 minutes more. Transfer the fillets to plates.

3) Spoon the warm basil butter over the fish and serve. EASY PEASY, BABY!!



No comments:

Post a Comment