Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Friday, March 23, 2012

Griddle Steaks and Steak Sandwich on a Bagel




Adapted: Julie's Eats and Treats


I stumbled across this recipe on Tasty Kitchen and was skeptical about frying steaks indoors. It is funny in reviewing Julie's site, she stated that she is fearful of cooking on a grill. I am totally the opposite, I am fearful of cooking steaks indoors. I just don't think it is fittin', not fittin' at all! Any how, when I did these, it was still 20 some odd degrees outside and I am a more of a wimp about cooking in the freezing cold than I am about trying new things.Plus,  I was also craving a steak at the time and the craving won out over my pig-headed belief that the only place to cook a steak is over a charcoal grill.

So,  in the morning, I threw some of my crock pot baked potatoes into the crock pot and then continued on for the day.

Approximately 1 hour before I was going to cook the steaks (this can be done in as little as 1/2 hour), I rubbed them with olive oil and seasoned them using McCormick's Grill Seasoning and Paula Deen's Revamped House Seasoning and allowed them to come to room temperature.

I, then, took out my cast iron pan and, you guessed it, sprayed it liberally with non-stick cooking spray and then a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. I heated this over a medium flame to get the oil good and hot. My husband and son like their steaks well done, so I did theirs first. I cooked theirs for roughly 6 minutes per side and then allowed them to finish cooking in a "warming" oven that was set at 170 degrees. I really like my steaks still mooing, so I did mine last for 3 minutes per side.

THESE STEAKS WERE FANTASTIC!! Better than anything that I would get in a restaurant.

So, here we go...

Ingredients:

Steak (I used a 1 inch thick Rib eye steak)
McCormick's Grill Mate Seasoning~to taste
Paula Deen's revamped House Seasoning (listed under "My Favorite Seasoning"
Olive Oil

Directions:

1) Approximately one half  hour before cooking, remove steak from refrigerator, LIGHTLY rub in approximately a teaspoon of olive oil and seasonings, to taste, and allow to come to room temperature. You don't want your steaks drowning in the oil, just enough to have the seasonings attach.

2) Spray a CAST IRON pan liberally with non-stick cooking spray and add additional olive oil. Allow to heat over medium heat. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOUR OIL BE HOT, OTHERWISE YOUR STEAK WILL SOAK UP ADDITIONAL OLIVE OIL! This will negatively affect its' taste.

3) Fry to desired temperature:

  • Very Rare to Rare~2-3 minutes per side
  • Medium Rare to Medium~ 4-5 minutes per side
  • Medium Well to Well Done~ 6-7 minutes per side (allow to finish off in a warmed oven)

Note:  Cook the more well done steaks first because they can be placed in the oven without altering its' "doneness" too much.

Note: These steaks turned out so well that I did a steak sandwich on a toasted bagel for lunch the following day. I topped it with lettuce, tomato, onion and horsey sauce. It turned out so yummy it wasn't even funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment