Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Rocky Road Crockpot Cake







Adapted: Southern Living


I have made several cakes in my crockpot. I find it easy to do and, generally, am satisfied with the results. We have a new winner though!! This recipe, omitting the pudding layer, will be my new standard for my crockpot cakes! This cake was incredibly moist and dense. It was almost like biting into a truffle or ganache cake.  My only complaint of this cake was the pudding layer, which was fine once the cake had the opportunity to cool, but, when I had first tried the recipe, it was like chocolate milk.  Also, the melted chocolate chips hardened to almost be like the inside of a Good Humor Candy Crunch Center Ice Cream Bar. I must say that it is rockin' in that ice cream bar...not so much on this cake!

One other thing that struck me about this cake is that it could easily be used with different flavors, such as lemon cake mix with lemon pudding, etc. Also, different toppings could be tried. For instance, I will be trying cut up Reese's peanut Butter cups to top it. One thing I wouldn't recommend though is frosting this cake. If it is served for a party, after cutting it, maybe do a nice drizzle with the some glaze.

The authors of this recipe had recommended serving it with ice cream. In my humble opinion, that would have been going WAY overboard. I did a dollop of whipped cream. If I was serving it at  a dinner gathering, I would also add fresh fruit!

If you do make this cake, as written, be sure to prepare it ahead of time to give the pudding layer time to settle down and thicken. Not only will this help with the pudding layer, but it will make taking the cake out of the crockpot easier for easier cutting and prettier presentation!

So, here we go!

Cake Ingredients:

1 (18.25-oz.) package German chocolate cake mix
1 (3.9-oz.) package chocolate instant pudding
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups milk

Pudding Layer Ingredients (Optional):

2 cups milk, slightly warmed
1 (3.4-oz.) package chocolate COOK AND SERVE pudding

Topping Ingredients (Optional):
chopped pecans
miniature marshmallows
semisweet chocolate morsels

Preparation

1. Beat cake mix, next 5 ingredients, and 1 1/4 cups milk at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes, scrape down sides as needed.



Pour batter into a liberally cooking sprayed 4-qt. slow cooker. If desired, stop here and cook on LOW for 3 1/2 hours.



If wanting the full recipe, continue to the next steps:

2. Warm 2 cups milk in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. DO NOT LET IT BOIL!!
3. Sprinkle cook-and-serve pudding mix over batter. Slowly pour hot milk over pudding. Cover and cook on LOW 3 1/2 hours.


4. If desired, toast pecans in a small nonstick skillet over low heat, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant. This is an optional step. I did not do it and my pecans were fine.
5.  Sprinkle cake with pecans, marshmallows, and chocolate morsels. Let cook another 15 minutes to 30 minutes or until marshmallows are slightly melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment