Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Oven Baked Coconut Crusted Cod

Oven Baked Coconut Crusted Whitefish with Caribbean Rice


Adapted: Simple Easy Gourmet by Jenny Clarke



I have friends on Goodreads who absolutely love Amazon freebie romances and recommendations fly left and right when their is a winner that comes up. I am the same way, but my love is for the free Amazon cookbooks. In a very short time, I have accumulated approximately 200 of them that I head in take a look at and prepare. I downloaded one a couple of days ago that looks like it is going to be a real winner. The jury is still out because this is my first recipe out of it, but, with the winner that this was, it won't be my last. I wanted to post the link to the cookbook, but it seems to have disappeared off Amazon. I hate it when that happens!

Any one who knows me knows how much I love tropical settings. I know that will be my living arrangement at some point in my life, probably at retirement, but hey! Any how, I paired the fish with a Caribbean rice recipe I developed, which I will post tomorrow. The rice really complimented the fish because it was mild and had a nice sweetness to it. I did lighten this up slightly, so I am going to do her recipe and my changes.

So, here we go!

Ingredients:

1/4 cup mayonnaise (I used fat free)
1/4 cup brown mustard (or spicy brown)
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup very finely chopped mixed nuts (I used pecans, next time I will use macadamia nuts)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper ( I used 1/4 teaspoon)
1 lb whitefish (I used cod)
Salt and Pepper

Directions

1) Spray a 9x13 pan very liberally with cooking spray. The recipe calls for oiling the pan, but I really wanted to keep it light.
2) In a shallow dish, whisk together mayo and brown mustard. Set aside

3) In another dish, whisk together bread crumbs, coconut, nuts, brown sugar, cayenne. Set aside.

4) Salt and pepper fish fillets and coat with mayo/mustard sauce.

5) Then coat with the crumbs. Place in oiled pan when finished.

Yes, there is a fish fillet in there! ;)

8) Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily. If desired, you can flip fish midway. I chose not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment