Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Monday, May 20, 2013

Chilies Rellenos Breakfast Casserole


Source: Cast Iron Cooking with Sisters on the Fly

Several months ago, I had the chance to review an awesome new cookbook called Cast Iron Cooking with Sisters on the Fly. I loved this cookbook. It was awesome. I finally received my purchased copy and am now getting the time to try out the recipes. I originally gave this book five stars for the look of the recipes and layout of the book. It is now getting 5 stars for the quality of the recipes.

This recipe was in the breakfast section, but I did it as a breakfast for dinner. It was just the right kind of spicy and incredibly simple. I did some additions with some additional chilies. I also offered salsa verde and sour cream to top it with. We ate an entire pan of this stuff within 12 hours.

In doing it for breakfast for dinner, I partnered with Mexican rice and a Jalapeno Corn recipe which I will be posting on The Pub and Grub. Want to do it for breakfast, partner with some fried potatoes with jalapenos and onions.

So, here we go.:

Ingredients

6 eggs beaten
24 oz cottage cheese
2 cans chopped green chilies
3/4 cup crushed Ritz crackers (use a food processor)
3 cups shredded Monterrey Jack cheese, divided

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2) In a large bowl, combine eggs, cottage cheese, 1 can green chilies, Ritz crackers and 1 cup of the cheese.

3) Pour into a 10 inch cast iron skillet sprayed with non-stick spray and place in the oven. Bake for 45 minutes.

4) Remove from oven and top with remaining cheese and second can of chilies. Bake for another 10 minutes.

5) Serve with garnishes, if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment