Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Stephanie O'Dea's Chocolate Frito Candy



I have been taking time away from The Pub and Grub due to getting Christmas trays ready for gift giving. I had to pop back in and post this WONDERFUL recipe which is a frequent request from others.

One of my FAVORITE cooks is Stephanie O'Dea from the Make It Fast, Cook It Slow slow cooker cookbook series. This series is a frequent go-to for me and this is a recipe that I have practically memorized. Now, I don't follow Stephanie's gluten free lifestyle, so mine includes ingredients that can be found in any supermarket.

This recipe is SO simple to make, it isn't even funny. Stephanie makes a comment at the bottom of the recipe that she sneaks pieces of this candy into her robe pocket. At first, I was like I wouldn't expect her to say less...until I tried it. I can see it now. This recipe is sweet, salty, peanutty...all my favorites! Just a lil note. At this time, when I make this, I triple and quadruple the recipe...so that is what the picture above is showing. I think the recipe, as shown below, is maybe about 4 cups of candy.

So, here we go!

Ingredients:

2 cups Fritos/corn chips, smashed
2 cups pretzel sticks, smashed
1 stick butter (8 T.)
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 T. Peanut Butter
1 bag semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts

Directions:

Crushed pretzels and corn chips


1) Place butter, brown sugar, peanut butter and chocolate chips in 6 qt crock pot. Cook on low for 1 hour (2 hours tops).



2) Stir and add corn chips, pretzels and peanuts.

3) Prepare a 9x13 cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spread chocolate mixture.

4) Place in a cool place for about 1 hour or until hardened.

5) I have found cutting in 1 inch strips makes it easy to cut the sized pieces I like to give.




No comments:

Post a Comment