Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Crock Pot Ham and Potato Soup



This Winter season has been soup central to me. There has definitely been something different about the coldness of this season even without the massive snows. I have been making tons of soups and breads and freezing them for quick dinners.

One of my favorite soups is a Ham and Potato soup. I simply love the flavors. I have multiple soups that are done stove top, but needed one that was done in the crock pot due to my hectic schedule for the day. I couldn't find one that I liked during a Google search so I simply developed one. It is a very plain soup without the fan fair of cheese, which easily could be added if desired, but it was just plain goodness. I partnered with my Sue D's Quick and Easy Rolls and one of my massive salads. All of which were made ahead of time. When I got home, except for adding the white sauce to the soup, dinner was done!

One of my favorites of this recipe is the size veggies could be chopped. While I like the chunk of my veggies chopped finely, I love huge chunks of potatoes in my potato soups and this one had it!  If there was something I didn't like about this version, it would be that I thought it needed more pepper. I love the taste of pepper in this type of soup. As I am not in the norm, though, I kept it to one tablespoon, but be sure to adjust to your tastes.

My family enjoyed this so much that even with the large batch I made, after lunches and such, we had no leftovers! 

So, here we go!:

Ingredients:

7 cups peeled, diced potatoes
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup onion
1 ham slice, chopped
2 quarts chicken broth
1 quart water
5 chicken bouillon cubes
1 T. pepper
Salt to taste (I use very, very little in mine)
12 T. flour
1.5 sticks (12 T. butter)
1 quart  milk

Directions:

1) Place first nine ingredients in crock and cook on low for 8 hours.

2) In a large sauce pan, combine flour and butter to make a roux. Add milk and stir until thickened. Add to crock pot. Cook another 30 minutes on high to thicken. Dinner is done! 

No comments:

Post a Comment